Life is not all about having fun, but hey, fun is important, isn’t it?
For a senior, fun can be as exciting as getting the Senior’s Discount at Tim Horton’s.
I’ll describe a typical day in the life of two fictional seniors, who recently moved to Ottawa. Any resemblance to Hubby and Me is totally incomprehensible!!!
- 5:00 a.m. – Hubby gets up. Yes, it’s early, but it’s all those naps he takes during the day! They catch up with him, usually around five in the morning.
- 5:30 a.m. – He goes for a walk to get the papers. These papers are free, which is very exciting and fun!
- 6:00 a.m. – He turns on the TV. We don’t have cable or satellite, but by the miracle of computers, he is able to find a couple of channels. They are free, which is fun!
- 6:30 a.m. – He has his breakfast of coffee and a croissant. The croissants are 5 for $1.00, which is a pretty good deal and therefore fun!
- 7:00 a.m. – He has a little nap to let the croissant get comfy in his tummy.
- 7:30 a.m. –
IThe wife wakes up. She stays in bed reading her email and checking her favourite bloggers. This must be fun because she does it for an hour.
- 8:30 a.m. – Wife comes downstairs and has breakfast. High fibre cereal and a huge cup of tea. You know what the fibre is for and the tea is just for fun!
- 9:00 a.m. – Wife and Hubby continue reading the papers. Wife does the crossword puzzle and the Sudoku puzzle. She finds this fun.
- 10:00 a.m. – They talk about what they want to do today. Hey, it’s Monday. The buses are free in the afternoon, which is always fun! They decide to go to the mall to pay some bills. This is an exciting occurence because 1) they actually have the money to pay the bills, and 2) the bus is free. Fun!!!
- 11:00 a.m. – They spend the better part of an hour searching for the bills, gathering up their glasses and bus schedules. Not quite so much fun!
- 12:14 p.m. – They walk across the street to get the bus. He wants to be there ten minutes ahead of the scheduled arrival time. She points out that it is right across the street and they are always too early. This happens every time, so it must be fun.
- 2:30 p.m. – They have had their lunch (a two-for-one special of course) and have just cashed in their free coffee coupons at Tim Horton’s. It’s “roll-up-the-rim-to win” time and there is a chance to win a Toyota or camping gear or one of 2,000,000,000 free coffees or donuts. This is just a chance but is fun nonetheless.
- 4:00 p.m. –
We’reThey’re home again. Nap time for hubby and time for a decaf tea for her. This is fun!
- 5:00 p.m. – Time for a bike ride on the trail by their house. The trail winds its way through the trees, past parks, and ends up at the library. They decide to pick up a couple of books while they’re there. Libraries are free which makes it fun!
- 6:00 p.m. – While Hubby naps wife scrambles a couple of eggs for supper. They eat in front of the TV watching “Monty Don’s Italian Gardens”, or “THe Story of Fractals”, or even “Country Houses of Britain”. Almost too much fun, as Hubby falls asleep and Wife starts reading a book on her eReader. “The Murder of a Stone Mason” or something like that.
- 8:00 p.m. – Hubby wakes up and says it is time to go to bed. He just has to turn off his computer in the basement. Wife decides to do a blog post when she hears sounds of computing coming from the lower regions of the house. This part is really a lot of fun!
- 10:00 p.m. – Time for bed at last. What a day! Wife gets out her eReader to find out whodunnit and Hubby falls asleep from exhaustion.
Next post will explain how it takes fifteen minutes to put their shoes on, another fifteen to find their sunglasses, twenty to search for their phones, half an hour to take out the trash, and at least an hour to tidy up after supper!
But it’s all fun!!!