I recently lost all of the information on my iPod, including everything on the “My Reads” app. With this app, I entered all of the books I had read over the past year, and had reached “100 Books Read”, just before Hubby decided I needed to update the iPod and lost Everything.
All my Contacts? Gone. Email addresses of everyone I knew? Gone. The Notes app containing all my passwords? Gone. Calendar with birthdays and anniversaries? Gone. My Photos (all 700 of them)? Gone. Itunes? All gone.
I’d like to give you a little sample of the books I’ve read over the past year.
- Favourite Author – M.C. Beaton. She writes mysteries, quite lighthearted, and always entertaining. Two of her series are the Hamish McBeth Mysteries and the Agatha Raisin Mysteries. Both very funny and I’d definitely recommend any of her books.
- Most read Author – Deborah Crombie. She is a mystery writer, a little more serious. She writes the Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid Series. I’ve read all of her books in the past year (13 of them) and am looking to buy her new book, No Mark Upon Her.
- Favourite New Book – Extensions, by Myrna Dey. This book follows a woman who is an RCMP Officer, as she tracks down a mystery spanning 100 years.
- Notable Book (and Movie) – The Help. – This book was recommended by my niece and by her mother and it did not disappoint. I loved the movie as well.
- Book based on a TV Series – The Richard Castle books, Heat Wave, Naked Heat, and Heat Rises. The first one was not the greatest but the second two were much better. I think they got a new author.
- Fun Romance Author – Kristan Higgans. Cute, funny, modern romances. Fun to read, with the exception of Just One of the Guys, which was too unbelievable.
- Author rediscovered – Mary Jane Maffini. Based in Canada, especially Ottawa, where I live now. I read Little Boy Blues and enjoyed it.
- Old favourite, reread – Pride and Prejudice. I never get tired of it.
- Just discovered – Janet Evanovitch’s Stephanie Plum books. Read #1 and enjoyed it. I’m starting #2.
- Non-fiction favourite – Malcolm Gladwell’s books. I love them and recommend them.
- Thought-provoking book – The 100 Thing Challenge. This book inspired me to get started on downsizing and because of that, I was able to make the move to Ottawa painlessly.
- Favourite math book – The Golden Ratio, the Story of Phi. I loved this one about the number 1.61803399…
- An old favourite author – Romance’s Betty Neels. I can’t figure out what I love about these books but when I want to relax and not think, I turn to one of hers.
- Humor – Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town. Funny and gentle. The author, Stephen Leacock died in the 1950s.
- Another favourite – Cassandra Chan. She writes mysteries and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in her series.
- Others worth mentioning – Debbie Macomber, Jo A. Hiestand, P. G. Wodehouse (Jeeves and Wooster), Bill Bryson, Graham Thomas, Mary Jane Forbes.
- My all-time favourite which I read in total this year for the second time??? – The Bible.
Hope you discover or rediscover a book or author of your own.
What are you reading, and what would you recommend to me?